Musical Analysis

 



The key to knowing it's a good song is when you can play it on repeat for weeks at a time and never, ever get tired of listening to it. That is how I feel about "Just the Way" by Parmalee and Blanco Brown. This song came out in December of 2019 and has had my love since then. On my bad days and even my good days I love to put this song on, turn the radio up loud and just soak in all the good feeling vibes from this uplifting song. You know those songs you can turn on and they just change your whole mood? That is exactly what this song does for me. 

Lyrics
The lyrics in this song are what make the song such a hit. It is all about promoting self love and loving yourself, as the title says, just the way you are. The song celebrates life's imperfections. The song points out little things that most people wouldn't notice but maybe, you notice about yourself and promotes them in a positive light. It praises staying true to yourself and self acceptance. 

Melody
This pop-country melody is upbeat and catchy. There is contrast in the melody from the opening of the song to when Blanco Brown starts singing. The melody picks up as Blanco starts to sing. It continues on to be upbeat throughout the rest of the song. The upbeat melody just makes the song very "dance-able".

Beat
The beat, again, is upbeat and constant throughout this song. The piano in the opening of the song then changes to the steady beat of the drum in the background of the song. It is very subtle but helps to keep the song flowing. 



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adreonna, I really found myself loving this song! I wasn't sure what to expect when I pressed play but I was certainly blown away with an upbeat tune and encouraging lyrics. I don't fully agree with culture's entire aspect of "self-love" as it can be interpreted as selfishness, but I do agree that we should stay positive, even in our imperfections. The lyrics were certainly powerful!
    I agree that this song is very dance-able. I can imagine bopping along to this in the mornings as I get ready for work.. Thank you for sharing this wonderful song!

    Something I noticed that was missing from your analysis was citations and sources. Are you the only person who has done an analysis of this song? I also think that you could have gone a little more in depth on the beat aspect of this song. Was there something about the beat that made you feel a certain way? I'm curious if the beat is what caught your attention first or if the melody did when you first heard this song. Thank you for your analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song is a good, i wanted to added the harmonic texture. In the chorus where the two guys sing an harmonic octave, making the song interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Role of a Performer

Music and the Fictive Dream

Musical Analysis 2